Wednesday 7 December 2016

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Many Years From Now

Insecure Writer's Support Group is a blog hop hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh where totally insecure writers can get together and share the things that are making us go argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December’s question: In terms of your writing career, where do you see yourself five years from now, and what’s your plan to get there?

I really want to do the unrealistic thing and write where I want to be five years from now and not where I actually see myself. But I’m going to be really pragmatic and not waste the opportunity talking about Hollywood movie deals. Given that I’ve managed to publish one novel in the last five years with the second novel still in production, I think productivity is a bit of an issue for me. Not so much the writing part because I write quickly. It’s the editing and publishing that makes me cringe. Sadly, it doesn’t look like that’s ever going to change. So I’m going to give myself a bit of leeway and say that five years from now I would hope to have my three novel series completed and published and to be working on something new. I also want to try and write something in a genre that  I’m not comfortable with like romance or historical fiction.

I make plans all the time that I often don’t follow for one reason or another. This coming year I’m going to work on breaking down goals into smaller tasks so that it’s not so overwhelming. I’m hoping this will mean my productivity will be constant instead of huge spikes of writing during NaNo months and then nothing in between. I guess five years from now we’ll see if this plan has worked!
 

8 comments:

  1. That seems very realistic! It helps to predict the future by looking at the past. Sadly, my future looks bleak in terms of a publishing future. :( But, you're very likely to get your trilogy done in five years and have something else in the works! I have no doubt it'll happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smaller goals are better. You'll feel like you're accomplishing something then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think breaking down goals into smaller tasks makes perfect sense. I will join you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you ever do write a romance, I'd be all over it. I would love to see what you'd do with a romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My least favorite thing to do when in comes to writing is writing up a new book proposal. Talk about stressful!

    Hope you get to meet and even surpass your five year goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea. We tend to get overwhelmed when things look impossible. Try to break it into small steps (smaller goals) and I think you'll do fine. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But you have published one book and I find that great. I have yet to get the first book out there. You're on the right track to break your goals down into Lego blocks and fill them out one block at a time.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we just have to take it one step at a time...it can be so overwhelming when we think of all the work involved. But yes, the editing part gets me, too! I think that's the curse of us fast writers!

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)