Wednesday 7 February 2018

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Genre Love






Insecure Writer's Support Group is a blog hop hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh where totally insecure writers can get together and share the things that are making us go argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


IWSG Question: What do you love about the genre you write in most often?

If someone had asked me this question a few years ago I would have gone into a lengthy tirade about how great sci-fi/dystopia is. But as I sit here trying to formulate a plan for my publishing career this year, I realise that my growing WIP list now includes quite a lot of urban fantasy, contemporary YA romance and most recently some adult paranormal romance. Usually when I’m done writing a novel in one series I’ll jump straight into editing or writing the next book in another series. So right now it’s hard for me to pin down what genre I write in most often.

What my novels have in common across all these genres is strong female characters, lots of action and some sort of fantastical element. Even in my contemporary romances some far out things tend to happen (kidnappings, stolen identities, hacker culture etc).  This isn’t a huge surprise because these are the kinds of books I like to read. I can read any genre as long as it doesn’t have a shrinking violet heroine and a really slow plot.

6 comments:

  1. I find myself wondering what genre I write in most often, too, these days. Gotta write some books for the markets that actually have a large number of readers, but you can't compromise on some things, like strong heroines and plain old good story telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those elements can appear in any genre, which is probably why you've spread out to write more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE to read one of your contemporary romances. I can’t wrap my head around it but I bet they’re amazing cause there won’t be any of that stupid instalove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you know me too well. There's not even that much romance in them. It's mostly plot.

      Delete
  4. The hybrid author is on the rise! Such an exciting time to be a writer!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write a lot of children’s non fiction when there’s a market for it. I love it because there is the excuse to learn something new every time. Of course, I enjoy doing research and as I recall, Lan, you once said you didn’t! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)