Wednesday 21 March 2012

Review: Angelfall by Susan Ee





The Story (From Goodreads):

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel. Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

My Thoughts:
 I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sucker for a bargain. I buy ebooks because if they're hit and miss, I've only spent about .99c. So it says a lot that I am going to buy myself a paper copy of Angelfall. 

THE PLOT:
 - I loved how fast paced Angelfall was. From start to finish it was just Go! Go! Go! and some of the things that happened really did shock me, which hardly ever happens.
- The explanation for the angel invasion is such a unique and clever idea and though some of the plot is a bit implausible, I was still able to suspend disbelief.  
- I really enjoyed the fact that Ee has def done her homework when it comes to aspects of angel lore. 


THE WRITING:
- Angelfall has restored my faith in first person/present tense writing.  It's intimate but without a smidgen of that self indulgent whining that tends to happen a lot when you're stuck inside someone's head.
- This is a book where metaphors are done right and they make sense. sigh. 
- I really enjoyed the banter and witty dialogue and I'm not at all jealous at how effortlessly it's been done *COUGH*

THE CHARACTERS:
- I adore Penryn. She's one of the few heroines whose stream of consciousness thoughts don't make me want to hurl myself out of a window. She's strong and resourceful, but she also has a softer side. Some of her one liners had me grinning from ear to ear and I really admired her devotion to her sister. I loved that Penryn and Raffe don't just meet and then her whole world becomes solely about him. Their relationship is organic and without insta-love or even insta-like. Phew.
- Though he wasn't by any means the most swoon-worthy love interest IMO, I really liked Raffe as well. He too had some great one liners and his conversations with Penryn were amongst the best bits of the story. I liked that he wasn't overprotective of Penryn from the beginning which tends to happen a lot in YA books.
- Penryn's mum is a brilliant character. Easily my favourite.  Scary yet lovable is all I can say.

THE OTHER STUFF (may contain spoilers):
 - Just some random continuity stuff: There's a scene where Penryn has to put on a dress and be sexy in order to get into the angel aerie. Now, I don't know about you guys but if it's been six weeks since I did any feminine pampering stuff, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look gorgeous. I'm just saying...hair and stuff everywhere.
 - Speaking of the six week thing, I would really like to believe that if humans are good at one thing only it's staving of an invasion. So six weeks seems a bit of a short time for everything to fall apart. Seriously, there are so many rednecks with guns it's not even funny anymore. 

Overall though, I couldn't put Angelfall down until I made myself put it down because it was putting me off my own writing. Despite some of the minor inconsistencies, I really felt compelled by this book and that's saying a lot considering how insanely critical I've been lately.

The Rating:
10/10

21 comments:

  1. You sold me :)Angels are great story tellers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm writing my own angel book at the moment and this was supposed to be a research book but it ended up being so much more!

      Delete
  2. I read so many great reviews about this book and people keep saying that this book is AMAZING, but I wasn't really interested. Not until I read your review, Lan! Your review is super amazing! After not many great experience on angel books, you finally convince me to give this book a go! I mean, witty dialogues, awesome characters, and no insta-love? I'm definitely sold!! <3

    I really like it that Raffe wasn't overprotective of Penryn from the beginning too. I'm always surprised how YA girls tend to get a boy to protect them from the very beginning. This book sounds amazing, and you give it a very high rate! Can't wait to start reading this book and check out its awesomeness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had quite a few disappointing experiences with angel books as well (I'm still struggling through Fallen by Lauren Kate) but this book completely blew my mind. I can't stand the whole protective thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it when there is a relationship but five seconds after you meet someone is a bit much.

      Delete
    2. Thank You for posting this! I liked the book so much, I just started my own Facebook fan page of the book. There isn't much members yet..but hopefully with your guys help, it will grow! Please like my page...

      https://www.facebook.com/AngelfallPenyrnTheEndOfDaysSeries?ref=tn_tnmn

      Delete
  3. You definitely sold me too. I'm gonna have to check that out. The fact that you're willing to pay for the book shows just how much you like it. I thought I was the only one who bought books as eBooks and then bought the hardcopy when I realized I loved it. The last book I did that with was Telesa. Just cant not have that wonderfulness in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherre, if I could only recommend one book this year it would be this one. Am dying for my paper copy to arrive so I can have a pretty cover of my own.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, TEN out of TEN?? This book sounds so amazing! <3 I don't think I've read a single negative review for this book since I found out about it last year, so I've been waiting for the paperback to release since I'm an e-readerless girl, but your review makes me wish I had one (even though I'm faithfully Team Hardback!)! I love how you said that it restored your faith in first person/present tense writing especially -- because I know a lot of people have been getting sick of this tense, so it's nice to know that there's some hope for it after all! :)

    Amazing review, Lan!! If this book wasn't already on my rapidly growing TBR pile, I would've definitely added it after reading your thoughts! x) Now I'm even more eager! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a negative review either! Which is what scares me. It makes me question if mine will get trashed! But this review isn't about me! I used to be an all paper book girl as well but since I got the kindle I've been converted. I'll never stop buying print books but there are just so many great books that are only available as ebooks and sometimes it's very convenient!

      Delete
  5. I am with those comments above me. Anything you perfect score I am going to have to check out. Yay! and... well now my TBR list is a book longer... and you don't want to know how many books are on it *sigh* Damn list.
    Great review Lan!

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBRs are such a pain but great when you find gold like this in them! If you do end up reading this one make sure you post a review so I can check it out. Am I getting to be that reviewer that doesn't like many books? Is that why everyone is so interested in my high scoring books?!? :P

      Delete
  6. Yep! Best angel book out there. You finally put up a review of this book on your blog. I was thinking you were never going to do it, but I'm glad you did. It's needs love.

    I want a paperback of this book, too, but I'll wait to see if I win one from Susan's blog. Did you know even the paperback version is selling really well over at Amazon? That never happens. It's just amazing...

    Anyway, great review and I'm so surprised to see the 10/10 score from you just because you never give it out. But, considering that I know this book is a new fave for you, it's not that surprising after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any book that makes me go a little nuts and stop writing deserves a 10! Which is a little pathetic on my part but eh? What can you do? I agree this is the best angel book out there right now.

      Delete
  7. Hooray for non-annoying stream of consciousness! This isn't my usual type of book, but I'm tempted to check it out after reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i don't think this is really your thing either Karen but there's always a first :)

      Delete
  8. Argh! Dang you, Lan! Now I want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to read this and let me know what you think. Tell me I'm not crazy!

      Delete
  9. "She's one of the few heroines whose stream of consciousness thoughts don't make me want to hurl myself out of a window."

    OMG Lan, you had me laughing outloud at your review! This sounds like a great book! I love-love-love the cover.

    "Seriously, there are so many rednecks with guns it's not even funny anymore."

    Dude, guns aren't just for rednecks anymore . . . !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Camille. I just like sticking it to the rednecks. The cover is gorgeous isn't it? Unconventional but it works. Just like the book itself.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Sounds like you really enjoyed this one, Lan! :) I'm glad. Usually, e-books that are cheap, I'm more hesitant to get, so I'm sooo happy to hear that this one was fabulous! Love the review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you enjoyed it! I've been pondering whether to give this a go or not - angels aren't really my thing - but you've convinced me it's worth shot. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)