Wednesday 31 August 2011

Review: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crawley


The Story: 
It's the end of Year 12. Lucy's looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about. His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere. Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow's thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls. But the one thing Lucy can't see if the one thing that's right before her eyes. - From the book jacket.

My Thoughts:
I don't know why I've been so blind to the enormous talents of Aussie writers but I'm so glad that I took up the Aussie Author Challenge and got to discover little gems like Graffiti Moon. Written in the dual perspectives of Lucy and Ed and peppered with short poems by Poet, Shadows constant companion, Graffiti Moon is the perfect sweet summer read.
        The story follows Lucy and Ed's adventure to find the elusive graffiti artist Shadow and it happens over just one night. The plot is fast paced and the story is both engaging and thought provoking and very easy to read. Lucy and Ed are complete opposites in most ways and it seems almost impossible for the book to have a happy ending at first. It's hard not to give away any spoilers because the book is quite short and there is a pretty big reveal to the reader almost straight away. This is part of the charm of the story. Even though we know the truth, it's fun to go along with Lucy and Ed on their quest and spectate as they discover truths about themselves and about each other.
        I've mentioned before on this blog that I am very much a character driven reader and Graffiti Moon didn't disappoint in this aspect. Lucy is everything I could ask for in a heroine. She's naive but surprisingly tough and some of the things that she does in this book had me wishing I had someone around to high five. Ed is that rough but sensitive guy who lady luck seems to like messing around with and I loved that he didn't let it turn him into one of the bad men. There are a cast of supporting characters in Graffiti Moon, all of whom make the story richer. It's not hard to see why this book has won a stack of awards.

Rating:
10/10

* I read Graffiti Moon as part of my 2011 Aussie Author Challenge.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like an awesome book! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smiling just reading the review. It sounds horribly predictable but very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds so good! I'll definitely have to track down a copy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued by the fact that the entire book covers just one night...it's been a long time since I read something that focused.

    I'm enjoying your Aussie reviews; I'd likely never hear about these books otherwise up here in Canada. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks SO cool. I'm all about supporting (and being damn proud) of local authors!
    The subject matter of this book looks like something id TOTALLY be into.
    10/10 for your review is that id say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, Jenny & Karen: I'm not sure if this is available outside of Australia but I'd recommend it if it is. It's very predictable but still so cute.

    BJ: Yeah, I thought it was very well thought out for something that takes place in so short a time. It kinda has a bit of event overlap between the two perspectives but it's so well done that you see the events completely differently.

    Alana: Two thumbs up for being proud of local authors. I didn't even know there were that many great Aussie authors until I started this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally going to read this one! If I don't find this at the bookstore today, I'm going to go to the Book Depository right away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sabrina: You won't regret reading it. It's just heaps of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow a 10/10 It must have been good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! I've seen this book around the blogosphere and I just adore the synopsis and title for it. It sounds so sweet! :) I'm big on characters too, so I'm really glad that you liked Lucy!

    Awesome review, Lan! I'm definitely thinking about reading this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time I hear the book title, I think "Man, that's good" :) You have now convinced me that I want to read it. I kinda love the idea of people getting to know each other in one night. Reminds me a little of Nick and Norah (the movie I've seen but never read the book), though I'm sure it's nothing like it. Now, I've got to go out and get the book!
    Thanks,
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of this one. Excellent review. Graffiti Moon sounds interesting.
    http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com/

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)