Tuesday 27 December 2011

2012 Aussie Author Challenge


The Aussie Author Challenge is hosted by Joanne of Booklover Book Reviews and it's been going on for about 3 years now. I only discovered this challenge halfway through 2011 but I intend to take up the challenge every year from now on. The rules of the challenge are easy and can be found HERE. As an Aussie, my goal is to read and review 12 books by at least 6 different Australian authors.
        I think it's pretty safe to say that I didn't have the slightest clue how many wonderful Australian books there are out there until I stated doing this challenge and it's opened up a whole new world of book discovery. Already I've been keeping my eyes out and have come up with a good list of books to be read. So far I've come up with the following:

1. Muse by Rebecca Lim
2. The Sending by Isobelle Carmody
3. Embrace by Jessica Shirvington
4. Emblaze by Jessica Shirvington
5. Bloodsong by Rhiannon Hart
6. Gamer's Quest by George Ivanoff
7. Blaze of Glory by Michael Pryor
8. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

That's all I can think of so far. I'm sure more will come up once the shortlists for book awards start rolling in but for now that's enough to get me started. Wish me luck guys!

9 comments:

  1. And all of them parts of series. I've read books 5-8 on your list. If Muse is out I haven't seen it yet, but I have read Mercy and Exile. I love Isobelle Carmody's Legendsong (still unfinished, but she's finally working on it) but just couldn't get past Book 2 of Obernewtyn - just as well I'm in a minority here! Gamer's Quest sequel Gamer's Challenge has just come out. I think it's better than the first book, as you will have seen on my review. Finnikin also has a sequel which I'm reading now; personally, I think the first stands alone very well, and you'll like it. Blaze of Glory is a hoot, the first of six gorgeous steampunk novels known as The Laws Of Magic. Keep it for dessert! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue: I'm a bit of a series nut. Although standalone books are great. Muse is out! I'm actually going to pick it up today. I've been waiting for the next book in the Legendsong series for a long time now. I might have to go back and reread. The other books I have to admit I added because of your reviews about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratz! You got eight! I think I have read only a couple Aussie writers this year.

    Beth ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very warm welcome back to the challenge for its third year Lan! You are so right, there are so many wonderful Australia authors out there that I too would not otherwise have found had it not been for my participation in my own challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, excellent entry into the 'name our koala mascot' competition Lan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth: I'm still compiling my list of books for you to read which comprises of a few Aussie authors. I am still trying to keep a look out for more :)

    Jo: I'm so glad I found this challenge. Before it, Aussie books weren't even on my radar! I hope I win the koala naming comp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for a challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexia: Thanks! I hope I do as well as I did last year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I've been on an Aussie reading binge for Aussie Author Month, but I;m addicted and will just keep going. So many great authors and I just moved to Australia so it's a perfect excuse!

    New Follower BTW!

    ReplyDelete

I believe in comment karma. Comment and I shall return :)